Limestone Quarry
| Whitwell Local History Group Homepage
Programme | A Parish History | Parish Survey |Other Documents  | Links
Enquiries | Photo Page | Latest Changes


Limestone Quarry
(Off A619)

Grid Ref SK50907725

Situation: East of Springfield Farm
West of Gipsyhill Lane
South of Walls Lane
North of A619

Present Condition - Disused for many years, possibly 100 years, and very overgrown with nettles, etc.  Twelve to fifteen feet deep despite having been used to dump stone and concrete troughs as well as rubble.  Edge of quarry, a neglected hedge of hawthorn, hazel, blackthorn and dog rose with broken fencing and gaps.  Original access from present A619 extant as a gap in the present hedge and track across field.

1.jpg (56304 bytes) 1/
Some of the working party by ash tree in North East corner of quarry
2.jpg (64223 bytes) 2/
General view across quarry in South West/North East direction.  Ash tree as in photograph 1
3.jpg (53747 bytes)
4.jpg (60293 bytes)
Panoramic views across quarry looking north.  The far side of number 3 is where the building would have been
5.jpg (56851 bytes) 5/
Entrance sloping down into quarry from field at A619
6.jpg (72520 bytes)
7.jpg (56443 bytes)
Two places where the quarry face was visible
8.jpg (71172 bytes) 8/
Example of undergrowth in quarry bottom
9.jpg (60677 bytes) 9/
Troughs, etc


History Earliest record so far
1823 Annexation of land map is shown, but difficult for detail
1839 Tithe map marked as stone quarry
OS maps - called Old Quarry in a separate field with hedges on all sides and an oblong building along the North West wall (see plan).



 | Back to top
 Programme | A Parish History | Parish Survey | Other Documents | Links